REGISTERED VOTERS as of 6/30/17 Democratic: 4,267 Libertarian: 162 Republicans: 10,720 Unaffiliated: 5.762 Total: 20,911
800 N Main, PO Box 687, Newton, KS 67114
Proof of Citizenship documentation required to register to vote
Any person registering to vote in Kansas for the first time will be required to provide satisfactory evidence of United States citizenship. Individuals registered to vote in Kansas as of the effective date of this requirement are deemed to have submitted proof of citizenship and are exempt from the requirement as long as they remain on the voter registration list. Moving from one place to another within Kansas or modifying one's registration records does not require the person to re-submit proof of citizenship. If a voter's registration is canceled, the person must submit a citizenship document when re-registering.
If a citizenship document is not provided at the time the person submits his or her voter registration application, it may be submitted at a later time. Such person may (1) mail or deliver the document to the county election office by the close of business on the day before the election, or (2) submit it electronically by midnight the day before the election. "Electronically" means fax, email or other electronic means approved by the Secretary of State.
Valid Citizenship Documents
Here is a list of documents that are acceptable as evidence of U.S. citizenship for voter registration purposes:
Driver's license or nondriver's identification card issued by the Division of Vehicles (or the equivalent governmental agency of another state within the U.S. if the agency indicates on the applicant's driver's license or nondriver's identification card that the person has provided satisfactory proof of U.S. citizenship)
Birth certificate that verifies U.S. citizenship
U.S. passport or pertinent pages of the applicant's U.S. valid or expired passport identifying the applicant and the applicant's passport number
U.S. naturalization documents or the number of the certificate of naturalization. (If only the number of the certificate of naturalization is provided, the applicant shall not be included on the registration rolls until the number of the certificate of naturalization is verified with the U.S. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services by the county election officer or the Secretary of State, pursuant to 8 U.S.C. § 1373(c))
Other documents or methods of proof of U.S. citizenship issued by the federal government pursuant to the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952
Bureau of Indian Affairs card number, tribal treaty card number or tribal enrollment number
Consular report of birth abroad of a citizen of the U.S.
Certificate of citizenship issued by the U.S. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services
Certification of report of birth issued by the U.S. Department of State
American Indian card, with KIC classification, issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (Note: This document applies only to a small Texas band of the Kickapoo tribe with slightly more than 50 members.)
Final adoption decree showing the applicant's name and U.S. birthplace
U.S. military record of service showing applicant's place of birth in the U.S.
Extract from a U.S. hospital record of birth created at the time of the applicant's birth indicating the applicant's place of birth in the U.S.
Every voter must show photo ID when voting. A voter requesting a ballot by mail must either write his or her driver’s license number on the application or send a copy of a photo ID to get a ballot.
VALID PHOTOGRAPHIC IDENTIFICATION DOCUMENTS
The following documents may be used as identification for purposes of voting in Kansas:
- Driver’s license or ID card issued by Kansas or by another state
- U.S. passport
- Student ID card from an accredited postsecondary education institution in Kansas
- U.S. military ID
- Employee badge or identification document issued by a government office
- Concealed carry of handgun license issued by Kansas or by another state
- Public assistance identification card issued by a government office
A voter age 65 or older may use an expired document.
Certain individuals are exempt from the ID requirements: permanent advance voters (voters with illnesses or disabilities), overseas military voters and their spouses and dependents, and voters with religious objections who sign declarations.
Proof of Citizenship Required to Become a Registered Voter
Photo ID is Required to Vote - Take it to the Polls
Voter Registration for the City/School General Election ends October 17, 2017 at 7pm
Multiple Ways to Register to Vote or Update Your Voter Registration
- REQUEST to be registered to vote when renewing your Kansas Drivers License or ID
- ONLINE Registration - if you have a valid Kansas ID click here to register online
- DOWNLOAD Kansas Voter Registration Application - click here for form fillable PDF (type in information, print, sign and return to election office)
- DOWNLOAD Kansas Voter Registration Application - click here for plain PDF (print, complete, sign and return to election office)
- PICK UP Kansas Voter Registration Application form at Election Office, City Office, Library, Health Department, party office, voter registration drive or one of many other locations. (complete, sign and return to election office)
- CALL or EMAIL the Harvey County Election office at 316-284-6839 or firstname.lastname@example.org to request a Kansas Voter Registration Application. (complete, sign and return to election office)
Applications can be returned in-person, by mail, fax or email. Proof of citizenship documentation required for first time registrants, see information belowRemember that if your name or address has changed you must submit a new Kansas Voter Registration Application at least 21 days prior to election day. Party Affiliation changes for the August 2 primary must be completed prior to noon on June 1.
Election Forms, Links and Information:
County Clerk & Election Officer