Rick Piepho

County Clerk & Election Officer

REGISTERED VOTERS as of 10/17/19      Democratic: 4,720     Libertarian: 174     Republicans: 10,795     Unaffiliated: 6,696     Total: 22,385

800 N Main, PO Box 687, Newton, KS 67114


Fax: 316-284-6856


KS Property Tax Relief for Low Income Seniors

​​SAFESR is a property tax refund program administered under the provisions of the Kansas Homestead Act (property tax refund). SAFESR is also referred to as, "Kansas Property Tax Relief for Low Income Seniors".

The refund is 75% of the 2017 general property tax paid or to be paid - as shown of the 2018 real estate tax statement for the residence in which the claimant lived in 2018. The 2018 property tax consists of the 1st half which is due Dec. 20, 2018 and the 2nd half which is due May 10, 2019. The 2018 property tax is the total of both the 1st and 2nd half taxes.

A claimant may receive either a Homestead or a SAFESR refund but not both.

You must meet all the following requirements for the SAFESR refund:

  • Kansas resident all of 2018,
  • Owned a home in Kansas during 2018,
  • Aged 65 years or older for all of 2018 (born before Jan. 1, 1953) and
  • "Household income" of $19,800 or less in 2018, and
  • House cannot be valued at more than $350,000.

SAFESR - Frequently Asked Questions and worksheet please click this link: https://www.ksrevenue.org/safesenior.html

Rick Piepho

Harvey County Clerk


Effective January 1, 2013 - Renters will no longer be able to claim a Homestead Property Tax Refund

    The Homestead Refund is a rebate of a portion of the property taxes paid on a Kansas resident's homestead.  Your refund percentage is based on your total household income.  If you own your  home, the refund is a percentage of your general property tax. Maximum refund is $700.  

        Beginning January 2 of each year the Clerk's Office can assist you in filing a homestead claim.  Beginning in 2010, all claims must be filed electronically with the Kansas Department of Revenue(Click here to go to https://www.kansas.gov/ssrv-homestead/welcome.html).  Claims  must be filed by April 15 of each year.  The following is a list of items you need to bring to the Clerk's Office so we may assist you in filing this claim:

  • Proof of all taxable and nontaxable household income by all household members for the preceding year:   This includes but is not limited to:  social security income (please bring statement from the preceding year),  veteran's benefits, pension income, interest income, proof of disability if disabled, business and farm income, welfare and temporary assistance payments, unemployment, worker's comp, alimony, school grants and scholarships, gambling winnings, jury duty payments, and other miscellaneous income.
  • Property tax statement

In order to be eligible to file a homestead claim the maximum income level per household cannot exceed $35,500 for 2018.  You must also have been a homeowner who was a resident of Kansas all of the preceding year, and has at least one of the following qualifications:

  • You were 55 years of age before January 1 of the preceding year
  • You must have been totally or permanently disabled or blind during the entire year, regardless of your age 
  • You must have had a dependent child living with you all of the last year who was born before January 1 of the preceding year, and was under the age of 18 all of the entire year.
  • A disabled veteran (50% or more disability), or the surviving spouse of a disabled veteran who has not remarried, or the surviving spouse of an active duty military personnel who died in the line of duty and not remarried.

If you would like to view or print the K-40H instruction book please click this link: https://www.ksrevenue.org/pdf/k-40hbook17.pdf

Homestead Refunds